Sunday 22 November 2009

How it all began...

Well, tomorrow (monday) will be our lil' judgement day... the past 4 weeks of research, idea's development and actual work will be presented to our tutors and signal the end of the cross pathway project. We've changed our minds quite a few times during this project but personally I think it's all been for the best, from choosing to simplify our final exhibition idea to deciding on a theme for all our work to be based around.

Each member of our group had a preffered idea/theme for the door and we took all into account but finally we all settled on the idea of 'What would you like to be behind the door!?'. This came about through a discussion on mysteries and curiosity, how we all seek answers and question everything, especially when presented with the idea of a door/doorway... ideas of what is behind it pops into our heads. At this point our imaginations take over and rather than relying on facts, we prefer to invent explanations to what could be behind the door, something intriguing and exciting as opposed to what would really be there... a broom cupboard or office.

As a group we had a meeting with one of our tutors to discuss our ideas before giving it the official go ahead and the main criticism we got was not to be so literal and obvious with our ideas. Rather than having the idea of a door being mysterious because we dont know what is behind it, we altered our ideas to represent what we would like to be behind it and to show a bit about each of our personalities...

from my own literal boring ideas....
I was thinking VERY literal, coming up with illustrations that would make the viewer wonder more about what had happened prior to them viewing the door, about a narrative contained within the illustration and hopefully these images would inspire the audience to imagine their own scenarios about what secrets the door could be holding. Another idea was to paint our ideas within the frame of a keyhole, which was again seen as a bit too literal but could still be funny... however they tended to be too cliched.


my new and improved ideas....
As our idea developed into us painting what we want to be behind the door, I started thinking about what I would want to be there and what would also represent my own personality...

sooo... my first creation was the 'Monster in the cupboard', as I love characters and creatures but also cute critters! Like most children growing, I had a fear of the dark and used to imagine monsters would get me if I ventured into the dark... now I still imagine monsters however I believe they could be friends :D

For those who haven't noticed yet... I like sweets. Whether it's Haribo or not :D mainly I like the fizzy/sour dummies but If I could imagine anything to be behind a door... it would be a room full of sweets! hence why I came up with my 'collage de toffees'!

Finally, although I thought the nude woman covering herself was quite tasteful... it was again seen as a little too obvious... but from most of the fellows I asked "what would you like to be behind a door waiting for you?", boobs seemed to be the most popular answer... but so as not to be too obvious and too again show my personality.. (not that I'm obsessed with breasts.. but that I liek to have fun and joke around)... i went with the 4th design of slang for boobs :D (I replaced the rockets with pillows in the actual piece)....


;)


Monster development...
We decided to collate all of our work into seperate sketchbooks so we werent all trying to cram our stuff together but also so we could work at home in our own time. Here is an example of some of my sketch development... The idea of a monster being behind my door started with an eye looking back through a keyhole at you... but I wanted it to look more like the monster was three dimensional and stood in a cupboard or something :) anyway... I like how he turned out on the actual door... kinda cute and scary like the last design here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment